Sunday, September 16, 2012

9/15/12 Gauntlet Work Day

Lately I feel like most of my biking has been work related and not riding related.  I guess it is what it is, I want good stuff to ride and it doesn't just magically appear right?  I saw a email mid week about Brian from VAST planning to  make it out to Gauntlet to work on a section that is troughing out.  I thought he was talking about a grade reversal slightly higher up the trail.   I typically just ride this trail down so I hadn't really noticed what he was talking about.  We got there at 9, it was Brian, Mark and myself.  It took quite a while to get up there which was partially my fault, Randy had lost his keys at the D-cup so we stopped at 2 spots to take a look, no luck.  Found out later he had left them in his dress pants.  We did find a few good rocks where we stopped the second time so it was worth it. 

We got to the top where Randy was waiting on us.  We unloaded the cany com and the ditch witch and started our way down the trail.  The way the cany com had been loaded with all the weight on the downside it was kinda tricky getting it down the trail, lesson learned.  Once I got down to where Brian was I realized it was lower then the spot I thought he was talking about.  He was right, it had began troughing out and water was just running right down the center of the trail.  He quickly cut a small grade reversal and dug a spot for the main two large rocks to really lock everything in place. This will help keep everything above it from moving down after lots of use and heavy rains.  For the most part the rest of my day was gathering rock and cutting some back slope.   Here is what we got done, it's not finished yet.  I believe it will already work, but there will be more added to the rock work to make sure it holds up for a long time.




 
Someone stole the Hideho sign recently...? 

No comments:

Post a Comment