Thursday, October 11, 2012

10/10/12 Falling Creek / 2013 Stumpjumper Evo Update

I made my way back out to Falling Creek today.  I think there is a mole tearing up some berms and rollers out there.  I'll try and get some pictures next time; it's strange.  Still no dirt delivered yet, but I got word that Friday is the day!  There was good moisture out there today so I took time to pack in loose spots, worked on a landing a little bit, freshened up a lip and shaved a few lumps out of the berms.  There is loads of grip when it's moist out there, lots of fun.  With that being said, yup, I got in a few runs on my new stumpy evo. 

I battled with the PF30 bottom bracket and it set me back a few weeks in getting the bike built.  I made a mistake and ordered a Sram bottom bracket and Specialized adapters for a 24mm Shimano Hollowtech spindle.  They do not work together.  I ended up ordering Wheels Manufacturing PF30/BB30 adapter kit for a 24mm Shimano spindle and a extra spacer kit.  It seems to have done the trick, after some more rides I'll know for sure.  Problem Solvers also makes one that would likely do the trick but I didn't get to try it.

One of the things I have been looking forward to the most moving to this new frame was the headtube/seat tube heigth relationship.  On my Specialized Pitch I was unable to get the seat as low as I wanted for descending and still have the post long enough to get full leg extension while climbing.  I didn't have the opportunity to try a dropper post on the Pitch, it would've probably helped.  I had tried a friend's Stumpy Evo and immediately noticed the lower seat tube area and higher headtube.  It was undersprung for me so I was unsure how much of it was just the suspension sagging too much.  I never really took the time to air his bike up and truley try it.  I'm happy to find after the first ride that it is deffinitely what I was looking for.  Actually the headtube may be slightly too high, at this point I deffinitely don't see going to a 160mm fork.  I really didn't have a problem getting front end grip today.  I have a 2.5mm spacer under the stem and a 25.4mm rise bar, I may try going to a 20mm rise bar.  It felt fine but I felt like maybe I could get into a more aggressive stance with it slightly lower.  I'll be riding it with the current set up for a bit before making anymore decsions. 

I was also looking forward to the lower bottom bracket heigth.  I picked up a new DH rig this passed year and it rides low with a 13.5" b.b. with 8" of travel.   I ran it all summer at Snowshoe and got to really enjoy the cornering qualities.  Once you learn the footwork needed it's awesome, it's really just an exageration of what a rider is already doing.  It's not as rocky as it once was up there either so it's easier to get away with it low and not snag much.  I knew if I could get away with the 13.5 inch bottom bracket heigth on the big bike then I could go to 13.1" on the trail bike, no problem.  The Pitch with the same set up was much closer to 14".  The cornering ability of the Stumpy Evo was instantly noticeable as soon as I leaned it through it's first corner.  I had more grip and didn't find myself having to fight for it; it was just there.  Granted the dirt had moisture and was naturally tacky that day.  I can't help but notice how much less I had to push on my outside foot to get the same grip.  The next thing I noticed is when I transitioned from the first mellow right into a hard left the bike changed direction super quick and with minimal effort.  I would attribute it to the lack of weight up top on the bike and it's overall lower stance.  It wasn't a trait I expected to notice this much.  Dig it!

This bike is obviously lighter then my last trail bike.  My Pitch weighed right around 31 pounds and my Stumpy is weighing 28.55 lbs.  Only differences in set up is now I'm running a single 34t ring up front and switched from shimano dx pedals to some specialized lo pro mags I had lying around.  I have a dropper post now as well, which I know is heavier then the thomson I had on the Pitch.

I also noticed a softer ride from the stumpy, I didn't bottom it and it seems to be pretty soft on it's initial stroke.  I'll know more on this later after hitting up something with some extended chatter.  It was predictable off the jumps and comfortable in the air.  Where I was riding the trail speed probably doesn't go over 25mph so I really wont know how stable it is at speed until I get to ride some other stuff.  Good times to come!

When hopping back and fourth between my Specialized Demo 8 and my Pitch I always noticed how much more awesome my Demo was.  I just always blew it off and said "I love big bikes".  I really enjoyed my Pitch and spent 90% of my time on it but now I can truley say I have a trail bike that matches up to the ride quality of my DH bike. 

Here's a few photos of the bike and the obligatory first ride self shot photo on the new ride.

thanks to Blackwater Bike Shop





2 comments:

  1. Your new bike looks hot and sounds amazing! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to spending more time on it.

      Delete