Thursday, August 23, 2012

First Post (Falling Creek)

I decided to start a bike related blog.  I'm not a writer and don't really ever intend to be, but figured riding is my passion so why not write about it.  If anything I'll be able to look back at it and remember these good times.  Life is good!  I'm not really sure what kind of format I'll keep for this so it may be all over the place for a while until I find my groove.  Bare with me. 

I ride in and around Southwest Virginia, so you'll mainly see content from there.   I may try and do some parts reviews here as well, who knows.

For my first post I'll just start off with what's going on in riding for me now.  It's late August, the summer is coming to an end and fall seems to be arriving a little early; the colors of fall are already beginning to peak out little by little.  The cooler temps are here at night, it's awesome.  I'm not a huge fan of the shorter days, but life these days seems to be all about tradeoffs.  Really looking forward to fall riding and digging.  Hopefully I can get more people out to work on the trails this fall/winter.

Speaking of trail work, I've been working with Kenny from Bedford Trails this passed month on getting the new flow line built at Falling Creek Park.  I'm really excited as this is really the first opportunity I've ran across that gives me the freedom to build some normal bicycle sized stuff to ride.  I wish there was more support from the local riding community, but my hope is that when the stuff is built they will get it and be more supportive.  Fingers crossed.

The track is about a 1/3 the way down the hill as of yesterday (4 berms, two jumps, few rollers).  I started piling dirt for the first table the day before yesterday in the main straight away and it's amazing how much dirt it takes, we almost need a big front loader.  After talking with quite a few locals, I plan to make this line trail bike friendly since that is what most people have around here.  Jumps are tables and landings are/will be on the long side so that overshooting to flat is more difficult and coming up short is a non issue.

On the way home lastnight I stopped off at Montvale and hit up Moto X and a few other trails in there.  Always cool to check out new stuff, small area but lots of tight twisty singletrack. 

Here are some photos from Falling Creek.  I'll be doing a rain dance because it is crusty dry out here.  I deffinitely wouldn't recommend trying to ride this right now it's just too soft.  The good news is it's coming up on some wet months, just in time to get it packed in!  These pictures are from the last few weeks.  The last two are from yesterday.  This project is moving along pretty good as soon as we get some good rain it'll help even more. 



Jon made it out and we got in some good work.  Here he is asking for no photos, trying to stay off the radar.  Keep yer head up buddy!










A work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment